Support our Work
“Texts are our lifeblood - sustaining for the heart and medicine for the mind.”
During the 1959 invasion of Tibet, hundreds of thousands of Tibetans fled their homeland, pouring into the nearby countries of India, Nepal, and Bhutan. Afraid of losing their sacred texts, many carried precious books on their backs rather than food, despite the risk of starvation, valuing their spiritual heritage over their own physical well-being. Nearly all the texts, libraries and art inside Tibet were destroyed by 1969.
The Text Preservation Project continues to be a cornerstone for Tibetan Aid Project. Over 5.5 million cultural and sacred texts in the Tibetan language have been printed and freely distributed to Tibetans in exile across the Himalayan region at the Annual World Peace Ceremony in Bodhgaya, India. Considering the cultural devastation, we can understand that there is still much more to do to preserve this text-rich culture.
And even though the Annual World Peace Ceremony was cancelled for January 2021 due to COVID, there will be texts shipped and distributed in 2021 when it is safe to do so. This effort directly places books into the hands of monks, nuns, and lay people, and supports monasteries, libraries and schools. We invite you to be part of this effort by contributing to the printing, shipping and distribution costs.
Yes, I wish to support tibetan aid project
Community of 1000 Blessings
Tibetan Aid Project recently celebrated its 50th Anniversary. Truly a remarkable milestone and reflection of Tarthang Rinpoche’s vision and commitment to the Tibetan people and humanity. In honor of this, we are re-energizing Community of 1000 Blessings.
We hope you will join with others in pledging $30 per month for three years, a generous gift of $1,080. The steadiness of monthly pledges greatly contributes to planning and implementing our projects and activities. With 300 participants, Community of 1000 Blessings would generate $108,000 per year for three years.
Together, let us gather 300 friends and supporters. This would be a substantial contribution and provide a strong foundation for achieving our 2021-2023 goals. We are grateful to those of you who have already joined Community of 1000 Blessings and encourage and appreciate those of you who are considering.
“During this economic crisis, I made the choice to give monthly. I found it helped me maintain my contributions without stressing my resources or limiting my economic freedom.” –Susan Zimmerman
Yes, I wish to support tibetan aid project
Other Projects Supporting Text Preservation
Tibetan aid project is helping to fund these projects.
The Solar Panel System for the Yeshe De Press and the Metal Building for Text Storage at Ratna Ling Retreat Center are projects integral to the success of the Text Preservation Project. The Yeshe De Press is located at Ratna Ling Retreat Center. Both are sister organizations to Tibetan Aid Project. Yeshe De prints, binds and prepares the books for shipping. The books are then stored at Ratna Ling Retreat Center until the shipping dates are confirmed.
Solar Panel System for Yeshe De Press at Ratna Ling Retreat Center
Project costs: $150,000
Purpose & Description:
- A cost savings and environmental project
- Solar panels to provide 90% of electrical needs
- Approximately $30,000 annual cost savings to help offset printing costs
- Includes 250-300 free standing solar panels
- Considering a 100 kw system; will confirm based on best price/watts in 2021
- SHARING Tibet’s wisdom compassion tradition with the West and how it can enrich our daily lives, by sponsoring Tibetan teachers, web-based courses, conferences and sacred art.
Metal Building for Text Storage
Project costs: $225,000
History, Purpose & Description:
- Currently there are 4 tents to store sacred and cultural texts for distribution
- The tents have been in place for about 12 years and are deteriorating. This metal building will replace the tent that is in the worst condition, and in addition will allow storage for the next deteriorating tent in the next year or two.
- It is 180 ft. x 100 ft. and will store approximately 780,000 texts.
- It will have greater longevity than the current temporary storage tents.